The Dugout Football Manager Community

Go Back   The Dugout Football Manager Community > All FM/CM Games > Football Manager 2012 > Tactics and Training

Notices

Old 19-05-2012, 01:29 PM   #1
Vim
Thom E. Gemcity
TD Member

Star Player: Simone Pepe
Vim is a name known to allVim is a name known to allVim is a name known to allVim is a name known to allVim is a name known to allVim is a name known to allVim is a name known to all

Default Pitch size as part of tactics.

I've never really paid attention to this and chose the default option when asked what pitch size I wanted, but from this season I've decided that I would make a choice and choose a narrow and long pitch.

Why? Simply, I play a defensive tactic with counter-attack. Having a narrow pitch definitely helps in defence as i can keep the opponents close to each other and allow them no space. It also allows them less space on the wings, where often fullbacks get caught out in FM (at least, that's my experience).

A long pitch is quite naturally beneficial to counter attacking. Once you invite the opposition onto you (I play with a deep defence), there will be tons of space for my wide midfielders and my attacking midfielder (I play no strikers) to run into behind the defence.

Having a long pitch also breaks up the opposition defence not by stretching it, but by keeping the banks of the 4-4-2 which is very common in Italian lower leagues apart from each other, giving my two central midfielders a great amount of space to work into.

What I wanted to know is, this is all right in theory but does pitch size make a big impact in FM? Will my ideas actually work in the match engine by having a narrow and long pitch, or is pitch size another FM feature which is not studied well by SI and implemented to its full potential?

P.S.: Also, what pitch would you choose for each playing style?

"At Juventus winning is not important, it's the only thing that counts." - Giampiero Boniperti
Vim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2012, 02:07 PM   #2
Jonnybravo
Hot Prospect
TD Member

Jonnybravo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vim View Post
I've never really paid attention to this and chose the default option when asked what pitch size I wanted, but from this season I've decided that I would make a choice and choose a narrow and long pitch.

Why? Simply, I play a defensive tactic with counter-attack. Having a narrow pitch definitely helps in defence as i can keep the opponents close to each other and allow them no space. It also allows them less space on the wings, where often fullbacks get caught out in FM (at least, that's my experience).

A long pitch is quite naturally beneficial to counter attacking. Once you invite the opposition onto you (I play with a deep defence), there will be tons of space for my wide midfielders and my attacking midfielder (I play no strikers) to run into behind the defence.

Having a long pitch also breaks up the opposition defence not by stretching it, but by keeping the banks of the 4-4-2 which is very common in Italian lower leagues apart from each other, giving my two central midfielders a great amount of space to work into.

What I wanted to know is, this is all right in theory but does pitch size make a big impact in FM? Will my ideas actually work in the match engine by having a narrow and long pitch, or is pitch size another FM feature which is not studied well by SI and implemented to its full potential?

P.S.: Also, what pitch would you choose for each playing style?
to some extent yes, but i think the effects are minimal at best, i play high domination football, really imposing my self on the opp so i have the biggest pitch possible to create space and strecth there defence.

What has more of a impact is the home/away advantage from my experiance anyway.
Jonnybravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2012, 06:54 PM   #3
Slogger
Decent Youngster
TD Member

Managing: Port Talbot
Season: 2022/23
Division: Welsh Premier
Position: 1
Star Player: David Lovell
Slogger is on a distinguished road

I always play passing football in FM (entertain the fans and all that ), with 2 wingers, and the maximum sized pitch has always worked well for me.
Slogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2012, 08:08 PM   #4
stouters
Dubbed the new Gaz
TD Member

stouters has a spectacular aura aboutstouters has a spectacular aura about

I've always gone for the smallest pitch. I haven't used wingers in a long time and most of my opponents do. I'm hoping can take advantage.
stouters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 05:40 PM   #5
BundyBear
Decent Youngster
TD Member

Managing: Huddersfield
Season: 2017/2018
Division: Premier League
Position: 1
Star Player: Lenny Nangis
BundyBear is on a distinguished road

not really sure, for the last three years ive had a good home record and an amazing away record, so maybe i should switch up pitch size but personally just always set it to max so i can imagine it looks like camp nou
BundyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 11:03 AM   #6
Nimreitz
Reserve Team Player
TD Member

Managing: Schalke
Season: 2020/2021
Division: Bundesliga
Star Player: Isco
Nimreitz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by stouters View Post
I've always gone for the smallest pitch. I haven't used wingers in a long time and most of my opponents do. I'm hoping can take advantage.
Can't remember the specifics, but I had a hell of a time in one of my games with this team who played on a pitch as narrow as a bowling alley and used a narrow diamond. The wide men in the diamond were almost as wide as wingers on a normal pitch. It was virtually impossible to beat them on the road. Eventually I got wise to the whole thing and had a diamond as my third tactic purely for when I had to travel to their home stadium, and after that I always won.

I pay attention, but it's not tremendously important except for the extreme example I just cited. In my current game I play a flat 4-4-2, so I don't want the pitch to be so wide that it stretches out my central midfield against teams that play with 3 in the middle, but too narrow negates my wingers. And of course, generally the better side you are technically, the bigger you want your pitch because it gives your players more room. If you're Barcelona you don't want a tiny pitch that allows the other team to easily defend, you want one as big as you're allowed.
Nimreitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 01:56 AM   #7
Moose
Decent Youngster
TD Member

Managing: NK Imotski
Season: 2018-19
Division: 1. HNL
Star Player: Roguljić
Moose is on a distinguished road

I like to have my pitch as narrow as possible, with a fairly standard length. Clog the midfield up with high-energy players to completely choke the opposition's playmaking, and field a long thrower so that most of their attempted clearances get hurled back into the penalty area.

I sometimes play with one winger (inside forward cutting inside) just to give my attack more options, but wide players are so ineffective with that setup that my fullbacks can dominate the flanks all game.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

The Dugout Football Manager Community > All FM/CM Games > Football Manager 2012 > Tactics and Training