The Dugout Football Manager Community

Go Back   The Dugout Football Manager Community > All FM/CM Games > General Discussion > Football Manager 2009

Notices

Old 25-11-2008, 12:59 PM   #1
Anunnak
Hot Prospect
TD Member

Managing: Liverpool/FRA
Season: 2030/2031
Division: EPL
Position: 1
Star Player: Dico
Anunnak can only hope to improve

Default Lower League tactics

Hey everyone

I'm just wondering about tactics, I've never designed my own, I simply downloaded them and let the season ride out on one or two tactics.
I notice that a lot of the tactics if not all of them are designed for Top division teams, I still use them just to see how they work on part timers.
As a lower league manager should I just stick to a simple 442 formation and the built in tactics provided by the game or attempt to build my own? Or just download as I did before?

Any helps with LLM tactics would be appreciated.

Thanks
Anunnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2008, 09:23 AM   #2
JohnnyVaea
Rolling Contract
TD Member

Managing: Gateshead
Division: Coca Cola 2
Position: 6
Star Player: Tiberious
JohnnyVaea is on a distinguished road

I find the exact same thing. These tactics posted don't really work for smaller teams. I keep conceding a ton of goals and I couldn't score in a brothel. I have tried every formation I can think of, but whatever I do, it doesn't work on this version of FM. I guess I am a reject manager!

Plus, anyone notice this "there is a gap between midfeild and defence" even when you have a Def Mid? Hmmm....
JohnnyVaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2008, 09:31 AM   #3
IJ
Glorious Overlord
Administrator

Managing: Foggia
Season: 2016-17
Division: Serie A
IJ has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVaea View Post
Plus, anyone notice this "there is a gap between midfeild and defence" even when you have a Def Mid? Hmmm....
This is pretty common, look in the main tactics and training forum. You'll find some advice in there on fixing this but essentially it translates to mentality.

As for lower league tactics - Just keep it ridiculously simple and you'll not got too far wrong.
2014-15 (Serie C1/C - Runners Up & Play-off winners)
2015-16 (Serie B - Champions)

My FM Content:
Changing 3D kits | FM Logos
IJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2008, 02:46 PM   #4
Super_Rochdale_Fan
Hot Prospect
TD Member

Managing: Rochdale
Season: 13/14
Division: SkyBet League 2
Position: 3
Star Player: Peter Vincenti
Super_Rochdale_Fan is on a distinguished road

I'm Rochdale at the moment, first save of the actuall game which I got only yesterday, I'm using Indoctrinations Attacking formation which can be found on this forum.

I've used it after i lost to leeds 2-0 at home in the FA Cup and since then my record is....

Pl 15 W10 D4 L1.....F24 A8 GD+16

It's been a revelation for me and has boosted me up the table up into 2nd in the league.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:10 PM   #5
AEM1977
Rolling Contract
TD Member

Managing: AFC Telford
Season: Season 2
Division: England BSP
Position: 5
AEM1977 is on a distinguished road

Default the villareal tactic

the villareal tactic thats on this forum , is also pretty good for LLM.
AEM1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2008, 01:52 PM   #6
burning_phoneix
Reserve Team Player
TD Member

Managing: Hyde United
Season: 2012-2013
Division: CC League 2
burning_phoneix is on a distinguished road

Like IJ said, the more complex your tactics, the worse your team will play. Just keep most of the sliders where they are and you'll not go too far off.

Also, for lower league players, try to look at physical attributes more than mental or technical.
Old 16-12-2008, 11:01 AM   #7
smooth
Trialist
TD Member

Managing: Ukraine
Season: 2017/18
Division: N/A
Star Player: None!
smooth is on a distinguished road

As much as I hated myself for doing it, I actually read that 'Tactical Theories and Frameworks' document and, whilst it does focus a fair bit on higher level tactics, the basics that it suggests seemed to work well for me. I'm not new to FM, as I have been playing FM/CM since 1996, but I found that ideas that used to work well for me, now don't seem to work.
I went from seriously getting pissed off with the whole game, to suddenly finding myself winning games 'fairly' comfortably. In my third restarted game, (after 2 succesive attempts in the Blue Square North which found me bottom by Christmas) I now have Solihull Moors in 2nd in the Blue Square Premier half way through my second season with them. I have no money to spend and a team that my assistant says will struggle to fight off relegation (but that's what he said last year when we got promoted from the Blue Square North). I can only put it down to the tactics I created after reading the dreaded TTF! - a basic 4-4-2 with very little creative freedom, and only minor differences between defensive players and strikers when it comes to mentality.

I don't like the idea that I had to read the thing to get any success, but it was getting to the point that I was fed up trying my own ideas and failing.
smooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2008, 01:36 PM   #8
Nick
Narnian
Administrator

Managing: Fenerbahçe
Season: 27/28
Star Player: Zeki Aksu
Nick is a name known to allNick is a name known to allNick is a name known to allNick is a name known to allNick is a name known to allNick is a name known to allNick is a name known to allNick is a name known to allNick is a name known to all

What sort of leagues are you considering LLM?
Nick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2008, 02:27 PM   #9
Plastic Manc
Reserve Team Player
TD Member

Managing: River Plate
Season: 2013/2014
Division: Primera
Position: 4
Star Player: Cavenaghi
Plastic Manc is on a distinguished road

I've been using the Man Utd Wonder tactic downloable here for my Macclesfield Town team and we finished 17th against a predicted 20th. May not sound a great achievement but with a couple of seasons to perfect the playing staff we could do well.

At a lower level its really about finding your strength and playing to it. If you have a big man up top then make sure your pumping balls into his head. The tactic I downloaded relies on a touch of pace up front and some decent wingers so after I've fixed up my defence, that's where I'll be looking to add quality so we can push on.
Plastic Manc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2008, 12:01 PM   #10
elrhysio
Reserve Team Player
TD Member

elrhysio has a spectacular aura aboutelrhysio has a spectacular aura about

Most of the tactics available here are made with good teams in mind. From my experience in LLM you tend to have players who are really good at only one thing, so a general tactic doesn't work as well.

So a tactic might work well for Manchester United because they have a lot of all rounder players, but if you have a team with an average pace of 6 in the Malaysian league they're going to be awful at playing Counter Attacking football.

I'd really reccomend just building it from scratch after looking at your players; It's a lot more rewarding then when you win a game and know it's down to your tactical genius.
elrhysio is offline   Reply With Quote

The Dugout Football Manager Community > All FM/CM Games > General Discussion > Football Manager 2009