The Dugout Football Manager Community

Go Back   The Dugout Football Manager Community > All FM/CM Games > General Discussion > Football Manager 2009

Notices

Old 25-06-2009, 07:41 PM   #121
mahdlo
Trialist
TD Member

mahdlo is on a distinguished road

how do you retrain a player?

i was on 9.3 btw.
mahdlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2009, 12:36 AM   #122
Helmerzinho
Decent Youngster
TD Member

Managing: Newcastle
Season: 2010/2011
Division: FAPML
Position: 3
Star Player: Jonas
Helmerzinho is on a distinguished road

bad news franky. season3, and i get slaughtered away against any good team.

just came from a 5-1 loss away to united.
played wolves home, won 2-0 then went to stamford bridge, lost 4-2, followed up by leaving anfield with a 3-0 loss....

i have tried to tweak, but i guess the foes have seen though the tactic >< God damnit..
Helmerzinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2009, 07:23 AM   #123
slbslb14
Trialist
TD Member

slbslb14 is on a distinguished road

so many red cards. struggling games vs Hull as Tottenham when they were 17th and i was 1st.
slbslb14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2009, 09:05 AM   #124
Franky
Reserve Team Player
TD Member

Managing: Wycombe Wandere
Season: 7th
Division: EPL
Position: 1
Star Player: James Tomkins
Franky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmerzinho View Post
bad news franky. season3, and i get slaughtered away against any good team.

just came from a 5-1 loss away to united.
played wolves home, won 2-0 then went to stamford bridge, lost 4-2, followed up by leaving anfield with a 3-0 loss....

i have tried to tweak, but i guess the foes have seen though the tactic >< God damnit..
I'm not sure which team you are playing as but obviously it's not as strong as the big teams. You really shouldn't be surprised then to lose away at Man Utd, away at Chelsea and away at Liverpool. This could happen even if you were managing a stronger team! This tactic and other good tactics can only take your team as far as they can go but no tactic can possibly get more out of your players than their ability allows. I really don't see that there is a problem here.

If there is a problem, it's probably the fact that you're trying to tweak the tactic, in which case it's not the Blitz tactic anymore. I spent a lot of time studying the game and tweaking/untweaking the tactic until I thought I could do no more with it. Have you thought that perhaps your attempt to tweak it is having a negative effect?

There is no magic tactic for this game. A good tactic should be defensively sound and attackingly efficient and that's all. You can try to tweak a tactic until the end of time but it's never going to make your players perform better than their ability allows. You should instead focus on increasing the quality of your squad via the transfer market and always buy players according to the tactic guidelines for 'types of players required' which you can read up on in the intitial post of this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slbslb14 View Post
so many red cards. struggling games vs Hull as Tottenham when they were 17th and i was 1st.
You got a red card and therefore lost a match? That's hardly surprising as once you go down to 10 men, it usually becomes an uphill struggle. I don't think you should put that loss to Hull down to the tactic. You should instead blame the player who got sent off. You are 1st in the League. I take it that it was the Blitz tactic that got you in that position? It sounds like you just want the game to roll over and die for you so you win every match 5-0.

Just for the record, I've started a new game with the Blitz tactic in League 2 and about 15 games into the season I haven't yet had a red card. I really don't think the amount of red cards you get is any more than you'd get with other tactics. Usually it's down to a hidden attribute of your players (i.e. dirtyness). The best advice I can give is that if you find a particular player gets sent off regularly, it means he has a high dirtyness rating and you should think about selling him as he's obviously a liability. Seriously, don't blame the tactic for your red cards, blame the players. You can take off 'hard tackling' for your defenders but then you'll find that skillful dribbling strikers will waltz through your defence and you're left swearing at your players, asking them why they didn't put a challenge in to stop him.

I've put a lot of time into making this tactic and find it a little annoying when certain things happen during a game and the tactic gets the blame. You really need to dig a little deeper and find out the underlying causes of any problems your team is having, which in your case is red cards. Others might find that a lack of team harmony is contributing to poor results or even bad team talks, or perhaps you just don't have the right type of players for the tactic. There's so much more to getting the best out of your team than just the tactic.

I've provided a tactic that works really well but to get the best out of it, you the manager need to get your team playing to the best of their ability in order to maximize it's benefits, and that's where the skill element of Football Manager comes. I would love to play the game for you but I'm married, have 4 kids and a busy schedule, so No Can Do

Last edited by Franky; 26-06-2009 at 09:37 AM.
Franky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2009, 11:33 AM   #125
YorkCityFan
Rolling Contract
TD Member

Managing: Man City
Season: 2011/2012
Division: Premier
Star Player: Sergio Aguero
YorkCityFan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franky View Post
...The best advice I can give is that if you find a particular player gets sent off regularly, it means he has a high dirtyness rating and you should think about selling him as he's obviously a liability. Seriously, don't blame the tactic for your red cards, blame the players. You can take off 'hard tackling' for your defenders but then you'll find that skillful dribbling strikers will waltz through your defence and you're left swearing at your players, asking them why they didn't put a challenge in to stop him....
Franky,

I had one player in particular who was picking up a yellow card virtually every game, and therefore incurred a lot of suspensions. Clicking onto his "player interaction" screen I noticed I could ask him to "stay on his feet when tackling" (or something along those lines). A couple of weeks later he had re-trained to do this and his number of yellow cards dropped off dramatically.

I think it may be worth looking at each of the player's screens and seeing what benefits can be gained there (as long as they have the appropriate attributes to do said changes). My strikers now place shots, one of my midfielders now dribbles more. Generally, the team plays a little better.

I stand by my recommendation of this tactic. It works. I still lose an odd match here and there, but that's football. It is the players that need slight tweaking (or changing completely) if the results aren't coming.
YorkCityFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2009, 11:53 AM   #126
DK
Rolling Contract
TD Member

Managing: QPR
Season: 2009-10
Division: Championship
Position: N/
Star Player: Lulinho
DK is on a distinguished road

Hi guys,

I need your help. I downloaded this tactic and it didn't work. I went investigating in My Computer and found it was a different file type to the other tactics. Has this happened to anyone else?? How do I change the file type or fix it??
DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2009, 12:56 PM   #127
Helmerzinho
Decent Youngster
TD Member

Managing: Newcastle
Season: 2010/2011
Division: FAPML
Position: 3
Star Player: Jonas
Helmerzinho is on a distinguished road

|well i am newcastle.

setup is like this:

renan(gk)

Santon (RB) Coloccini - S.taylor Mathiau (LB)

Beckham - Zuculini

Obasi (AMR) Jonas (AML)

marquinhos - Kerrison

Subs: Enyeama (gk)
Bassong
Carioca
Adriano
Russotto
Vicente
Guthrie

if that's not a top team i don't know....

it worked wonders last season. losing only 1 match in the league.

i won LEAGUE,CL,FA,Leaguecup.....

and i am now also managing france

oh and the only tweaks i did was to put down the AML and AMR to ML and MR in away matches. thats it
Helmerzinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2009, 02:00 PM   #128
Franky
Reserve Team Player
TD Member

Quote:
it worked wonders last season. losing only 1 match in the league.

i won LEAGUE,CL,FA,Leaguecup
If it worked so well last season then you have to wonder what's gone wrong. It's certainly not the tactic because you've proven that it works great by doing a clean sweep of all the major trophies. In my one big season in the EPL with the Blitz tactic, even I couldn't win all 4 (missed out on the League Cup). There absolutely must be something else going on. It could be any one or a combination of issues that has upset the rythm of your team but I suppose that's something for you to figure out.

Quote:
the only tweaks i did was to put down the AML and AMR to ML and MR in away matches. thats it
I wouldn't move the wingers down to the ml/mr positions as it means you need to retrain some of them if they're not naturals for that position. This would mean that you can't retrain them as strikers or wingers for the opposite flank and that would reduce your options when you have injuries or fixture congestion.
Old 26-06-2009, 04:04 PM   #129
slbslb14
Trialist
TD Member

sorry mate but its your tactic. 3 losses in a row now. Everton, Arsenal, Stuttgart, and a lucky 1-0 vs Hull.
Old 26-06-2009, 04:07 PM   #130
slbslb14
Trialist
TD Member

maybe its my strikers since they cant score for sh!t.

Keane, Bent, Defoe, Pavlychenko, Campbell or dos Santos up top? which of the two would work better in the first season.
Old 26-06-2009, 04:18 PM   #131
slbslb14
Trialist
TD Member

all my center backs get injured as well.
Old 26-06-2009, 04:28 PM   #132
Franky
Reserve Team Player
TD Member

Quote:
sorry mate but its your tactic. 3 losses in a row now. Everton, Arsenal, Stuttgart, and a lucky 1-0 vs Hull.
No it's definitely not the tactic, as is evident from the vast majority of posts in this thread. Have you tried a different one to see if it works any better? Also, if you think the tactic is the problem, how did you manage to get to top of the table?

Thing is, there's lots of reasons why results may not be going for you. You need the right type of players to make a particular tactic work. You also need to ensure your team talks are not messing things up. You also need to be running on patch 9.3 (for the blitz tactic anayway). Or it could be your lack of ability as a manager to identify and rectify problems that arise. The more you play the game, the more you learn. I can assure you though that the tactic cannot be faulted. I've used it extensively myself and have compared it to many other tactics available for download and I wouldn't swap it for any of them. I'm not saying that because it's my tactic but because that's really how I feel.

Quote:
maybe its my strikers since they cant score for sh!t.

Keane, Bent, Defoe, Pavlychenko, Campbell or dos Santos up top? which of the two would work better in the first season.
I don't think there's much wrong with any of them to be honest. Your strikers are not the problem. I'd love to tell you what is but I don't have access to your game.

Quote:
all my center backs get injured as well.
I suggest you invest in new centre backs
Old 26-06-2009, 04:30 PM   #133
slbslb14
Trialist
TD Member

what should i do for my team talks? i know you've said something before but can't find it.
Old 26-06-2009, 04:31 PM   #134
slbslb14
Trialist
TD Member

and also the striker pairing? Frazier Campbell seems to be the only one scoring at the moment.
Old 26-06-2009, 04:41 PM   #135
Franky
Reserve Team Player
TD Member

Quote:
what should i do for my team talks? i know you've said something before but can't find it.
This is what I mean. Unless you know exactly what you're doing, it's best to leave team talks to your assistant manager. The team talks you give can make a huge difference to the outcome of a match but what you tell your players depends on the pre match odds, your assistant's pre-match feedback, the state of the game at half-time, individual player performances in the first half and then some other factors as well. I think I might write a team talk guide and post it up in the forum some time.

Quote:
and also the striker pairing? Frazier Campbell seems to be the only one scoring at the moment.
I really don't think that pairing is an issue. If a striker is good, he'll do well, regardless of who you pair him up. The only sure-fire formula is to play the ones whose morale is best.
Old 26-06-2009, 04:44 PM   #136
slbslb14
Trialist
TD Member

cheers mate. sorry for all the questions!!
Old 26-06-2009, 06:05 PM   #137
YorkCityFan
Rolling Contract
TD Member

Managing: Man City
Season: 2011/2012
Division: Premier
Star Player: Sergio Aguero
YorkCityFan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Strings of results like this can occur. For example, my first four matches in January went:

Everton H 1-3 FA Cup (Excellent gate receipts though!)
Swansea (1st CCL1) A 1-5
Gillingham (2nd CCL1) A 1-3
Swindon (21st CCL1) H 2-2

Only one goal scored by my strikers, out of a team total of 5, conceded 13.

Conclusion: Tactics are shit.

"Rested" a few players, next seven games (4H/3A) gave 6 wins and a draw, strikers score 8 goals out of a team total of 18 and we only concede 7.

Conclusion: Tactics still shit?
YorkCityFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2009, 08:04 PM   #138
slbslb14
Trialist
TD Member

yeah im just barely getting victories now. few 1-0's and 2-1's but at least they're wins! . need to offload a few players as my squad is loaded!

cheers.
Old 27-06-2009, 02:01 PM   #139
slbslb14
Trialist
TD Member

tactic is now off my game. poor results. about 8 losses in the last 12.
Old 27-06-2009, 02:54 PM   #140
Franky
Reserve Team Player
TD Member

Quote:
tactic is now off my game. poor results. about 8 losses in the last 12.
You need to figure out what you're doing wrong. The blitz tactic works beautifully for myself and many others, as is evident from the posts on this thread so logically speaking, the tactic cannot be at fault. There must be other issues that are contributing to your poor results so I doubt if changing tactics will improve things. Upload your save game file on a hosting site and I'll have a look at it. I'm sure I can give you some helpful advice. By the way, are you running on patch 9.3?

The Dugout Football Manager Community > All FM/CM Games > General Discussion > Football Manager 2009