The Dugout Football Manager Community

Go Back   The Dugout Football Manager Community > All FM/CM Games > General Discussion > Football Manager 2011

Notices

Old 11-11-2010, 06:02 PM   #1
smith.guitar
Trialist
TD Member

Managing: B Stortford
Season: 10/11
Division: BSP
smith.guitar is on a distinguished road

Lightbulb General Lower league Tips

hello guys, been playing FM for a few years now and have never taken control of a lower league team. So iv decided to set myself the challenge to take on a roll at a lower league club(npower 2/ BSP) and bring them to top flight.

I would love it if people could share any experience, hints and tips to help me and who ever else want to take on the challenge.
thanks and hope to hear from people soon
peace x
smith.guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:14 PM   #2
Maestro Ugo
Wants First Team Football
TD Member

Managing: PSG
Season: 1st
Division: Ligue 1
Position: 1
Star Player: Griezmann
Maestro Ugo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith.guitar View Post
hello guys, been playing FM for a few years now and have never taken control of a lower league team. So iv decided to set myself the challenge to take on a roll at a lower league club(npower 2/ BSP) and bring them to top flight.

I would love it if people could share any experience, hints and tips to help me and who ever else want to take on the challenge.
thanks and hope to hear from people soon
peace x
Welcome to The Dugout!

This is the wrong forum to post, though, as threads are not for single players and their games, but for multitude of players managing in similar circumstances. Try one of the already existing thread dealing with the lower leagues.

Cheers.

Maestro Ugo's FM2011 Training Guide - HERE
Maestro Ugo's training schedules for FM2012 - HERE
What determines will a youngster reach his full potential? - HERE
Maestro Ugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:27 PM   #3
smith.guitar
Trialist
TD Member

Sorry dude, i didn't mean to intentionally make this for my own game. i though it would be nice for people to share hints and tips about there lower league experiences and how they have progressed to the top flight. Then everyone could check out what it takes to cut it in the dirty end of english football
iv looked for a thread which dose so already but i had no luck.
anyway hopefully you agree . if not ill look harder .
peace x
Old 11-11-2010, 06:44 PM   #4
Leeb88
Formerly McClaren_Out
TD Member

Managing: FC Twente
Season: 17/18
Division: Eredivisie
Position: 2
Star Player: Luke De Jong
Leeb88 is on a distinguished road

I have always got out of the Blue square leagues by playing long football to a fast targetman to run onto, aint tryed it on this version of FM. Make sure you aint losing money, and if you are get rid of pointless staff members, and any high earner's on the pitch, who arent performing up to scratch.
Leeb88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:19 PM   #5
smith.guitar
Trialist
TD Member

Lovely! thanks for the Tips Leeb88 . This help is gonna go a long way... ill report back and let you know how things are going lol.
Come on Wrexham! haha

p.s if anyone wants to share their tips and experience feel free to add to this thread.
peace x
Old 11-11-2010, 07:38 PM   #6
Nick
Narnian
Administrator

Managing: Fenerbahçe
Season: 27/28
Star Player: Zeki Aksu
Nick is a name known to allNick is a name known to allNick is a name known to allNick is a name known to allNick is a name known to allNick is a name known to allNick is a name known to allNick is a name known to allNick is a name known to all

Moved to general discussion. I have also changed the thread title to make it more specific.
Nick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:24 PM   #7
englandexpects
Bench Warmer
TD Member

englandexpects is on a distinguished road

I flip between journey man games and BSS/BSN to the premiership games.

First rule, load loads of foreign players if your computer can handle it, Holland has some quality free players but make sure you load every English player too there's plenty not automaticly loaded.

Second rule, your players are shit fire them. You can easily get better far cheaper.

Third rule, keep it simple. I like to play a fast tempo, high pressure long passing game. Man marking is probably a must at this level.

Fourth rule, a good keeper is invaluable!!!!

Fifth rule, pacey strikers usually dominate.

I have loads more tips if you need some!
englandexpects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2010, 10:40 PM   #8
billward
Rolling Contract
TD Member

Managing: Luton
Season: 2015/2016
Division: Championship
billward is on a distinguished road

If you're playing in a country where non-EU players don't need a work permit scout Brazil. They have loads of amazing players you can get for free. You can even get them to play for you for free by making them join your club on a trial. I'm currently in charge of a Swedish club in the second lowest division and have just had the same players accept another 4 week trial after their first 4 weeks ended and I can use them in the league.
billward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2010, 12:55 AM   #9
Coentrao
Decent Youngster
TD Member

Coentrao is on a distinguished road

Look for physical attributes mostly.. a strong tall targetman combined with a pacey striker can be absolutely deadly.

Keep it real simple, 442 with very little CF and Direct/Long Passing.
Coentrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2010, 09:20 AM   #10
tgw1986
Decent Youngster
TD Member

Managing: Southampton
Season: 2011/2012
tgw1986 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by billward View Post
I'm currently in charge of a Swedish club in the second lowest division and have just had the same players accept another 4 week trial after their first 4 weeks ended and I can use them in the league.
That doesn't sound right, normally players on trial can only play friendlies or other non-league/cup games.
20.06.09 - present Chaves (liga vitalis)

honors
-
tgw1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2010, 09:21 AM   #11
billward
Rolling Contract
TD Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgw1986 View Post
That doesn't sound right, normally players on trial can only play friendlies or other non-league/cup games.
I don't know why, but I can use them in league and cup matches.
Old 14-11-2010, 02:58 PM   #12
DGDobrev
Trialist
TD Member

DGDobrev is on a distinguished road

I always start in the lowest league possible, so here's my tips

1. Training.
- Get the boardroom to allow you to sign as much coaches as possible. Blue Square allows 4 + 1 assistant manager.
- Plan your coaches' abilities. I personally try to get coaches and an assistant manager (who can be a players as well) who have at least 10 on a preferred attribute: attacking, defending, goalkeeping, tech, tactics, working with youngsters.
- Now plan your coaches' assignments. Having a coach stretch through many training categories is very much hindering the players' advancement. Have a coach deal with 1-3 categories AT MOST.
- there will categories you will not be able to cover. use the best coach with the highest skill for them.
- hiring player/coaches is expensive, but it pays off. Jo Tessem, Chris Adamson and Lee Harper may show up with very decent staff attributes.

2. Squad.
- consider releasing or antagonizing almost all of the players in the club you have taken charge of. If you manage to antagonize them successfully, they may accept mutual termination, which removes them for free. Keep only the players who in your opinion can still be useful. The reason for doing this is that they have poor qualities overall and take a big chink of the wage budget. It is not efficient at all - in telford, for example, there are 3 players who gobble 825 p/w and have 2 times as less the attributes of Gauthier Mahoto, who rightfully earns those 700-800 p/w with his awesome stats.
- after you've stripped the club bare, it's time to start recruiting. Here's an extensive list of names you can use (updated yesterday - search by person name and don't forget to remove the tick in front of "ask assistant to filter out unrealistic results"):

Goalkeepers:
James Gilpin, James Dalton, James Dunn. Sam Pearce, Zach Kalthoff, Botond Antal (last 2 are the hardest to get), Nathan Dean, Tom Cox, John Bateman, Peter Loveday, Leis Ward

Defenders:
Darren Lough, Jack Pearson, Alexander Smith, Ashley Malcolm, Jamie Elwell, Fungandel Moke, Tony Diagne, Ben Hoskin, Dylan Robinson, Gavin Donoghue, Theo Angus, Jack Watson, Matthew Pike, Danny Fitzsimmon, Oliver Nicholas (Oliver tends to improve rather quickly, but may show up with poor marks)

Midfielders:
Ismael Fofana, Paudie Quinn, Cole Penny, Francis Zenaba, Matt Barnes, Kurtney Brooks, Ben Wood, Will Grocott, Exmeca Orwubiko, Matthew Wells, Alex Stockinger (starts with a club, but usually get dropped), James Paris, Rob Sissons, Mark Hartmann, Ross Chisholm, Josh Rothwell, Harry Rubbins, Tasos Kapsalopodas, Gauthier Mahoto (Mahoto is by far the best you can get here, if he joins), James Comley

Strikers:
Andrew Osei-Siribour, Edwin Ellis, Craig Mason, Ji Dong Won, Dali Gomez, Tony Boto, Yann Ekra, Tommy Amos, Michael Whitwell, Fabrice Otshudi, Tim Hopkinson, John Kennedy

These are the core players I choose from. I also have a secondary list of targets that is unlikely to come, but it has known to happen:

- Players who need permit:
Dionatan Teixeira, Serge Kouadio, Pascal Ebigbo, Daniel Owusu

- Others who don't really like you (but may join you if they remain without a club for way too long):
Luca Senicanin, Nicky Travis, Francisco Duran, Gael Nlundulu, Lukas Stiklakis, Yassin Mouataouakil, Mor Diop, Chris James, Ali Fuseini, Abu Bakr, Simon Cox, Chris Fagan, Michael D'Agostino, DAnny Uchechi

3. Building for the future.
- It is unlikely you'll get many decent youngsters in your youth squad, so you'll have to shop for some. I like to look for youngsters with decent 7-10 playing abilities (like 2-3 7+ attributes is ok, look for decent set piece takes as well) and over 10 in Work Rate, Determination and Natural Fitness, aged 16 or less.
- Make offers for them rather than approaching to sign. If you steal a younger from another team, you must pay compensation. If you offer, they may give him to you for free.
- Sign the preferred youngsters on Full Time/Hot Prospect deals. This way when they turn 17, they will start training with the big boys and develop quickly.
- Consider spending some time in making individual training routines for every youngster you sign. Go heavy on the attributes they lack, and if possible, assign them a tutor.
- I usually sign 11-14 such players based on positions and tactics which my 1st team plays.

4. The 1st team.
- using the list above you should be able to recruit a team that can do well even in Blue Square premier. Just select the best there are, give them full time contracts and good salary without overspending.
- now spend some time to set individual routines for each of the 1st team players. I know it's slow, but it pays off in the end. This will also give you an insight of your players - what they're good at and they they need.
- if you're really lazy, use the pre-set routines or download some. I personally like making my own. If a player has only 5 in dribbling, but has 13 in finishing and header, as well as over 10 in long shots, it's much better to set him up on the ball control heavy routine rather than using something pre-made. You do want a striker than can cut through the opposition without losing the ball do you?
- I usually recruit from 16 to 22 players from the list above. I want them to rotate frequently.

5. Match tactics.
- the tactics are entirely based on the team you made. Use your best players for their best roles, listen to your staff (pre-match meetings) and you'll do just fine.

6. So, what do we have in the end?
- 16-22 1st team players who will carry most, if not all the league and cup matches
- 11-14 decent youngsters who will develop at your club by playing in all the under 19s, all the reserve team fixtures and some of the 1st team fixtures when most of the 1st team players are tired.
- A squad that rivals the best Blue Square Premier sides.
- A decent young squad ready to advance and develop.

I'd say that's a pretty good start for any Blue Square game, and the same philosophy can be carried out to other countries lower leagues as well.

Last edited by DGDobrev; 14-11-2010 at 03:06 PM.
DGDobrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2010, 08:35 AM   #13
Shubhamitra Chaudhuri
Hot Prospect
TD Member

Managing: Oxford United
Season: 2010-11
Division: npower League 2
Position: 1
Star Player: John Constable
Shubhamitra Chaudhuri is on a distinguished road

Wonderful stuff, Dobrev.
I had started a similar thread in the 2010 section two months ago. I wanted to start another this year, but good job, all you guys. I'll be posting any questions or suggestions I have here. Keep up the brilliant work!
Edit- A suggestion to the mods. Some forums actually have entire subforums devoted to lower league management. Although I don't share in the LLaMa paranoia that some of these forums engage in, I'd love it if we had a subforum on lower leagues too. The Journeyman thread from the Your Game section can be moved there, and we can have lower leagues scout reports, lower league tactics and training, lower league staff threads and all that jazz.
Shrew and co, what say?
"You Cockney tw%t!
I've heard of the Stretford Enders!"

Just What The Doctor Ordered- A Set Of 45 Age And Type Specific Training Schedules

Download Just What The Doctor Ordered Training Schedules For Football Manager 2011

Last edited by Shubhamitra Chaudhuri; 15-11-2010 at 08:41 AM.
Shubhamitra Chaudhuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2010, 10:23 AM   #14
alcoholic
TD Member

Managing: Bristol Rovers
Season: 2025/26
Division: Premier League
Star Player: Jack Deal
alcoholic is on a distinguished road

I mentioned this in Shub's 2010 thread, but at the end of each season search the released youth and senior player lists thoroughly. Especially the youth one, as the Premier League teams alway have a tendancy to release some of the not quite as great as the obvious hot prospects. And beacuse it's the youth, most of them are 17 - 19 year olds and if you snap them up and can develop them, then you could get some cracking players that will be classed as trained at club, by the time you get to the Premier League, and especially if you want to break into Europe.

DGDobrev has given pretty much the best advice that you can get for LLM, but I'd say to scout your own players to fit your own tactics don't just buy or sign a player because someone else has had success with them. Use that as a starter, but scout them and make sure they will fit your style of play.

The final piece of advice I can give is look at the loan market, look at the 17 - 19 year olds in the Premier League teams reserve and youth teams, and then also look at the reserves of the Championship sides, and target a few of them on long term loan, but also make use of short term loans for cover (Remember you can loan a player anytime upto around November, and then from Jan 1st until about March. So if you time it correctly, you could have multiple 3 month loans of different players to cover for you through out the season. And if they are a youth player, then you won't have to pay any wages for them.
alcoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2010, 10:39 AM   #15
whois
Promising Youngster
TD Member

Managing: FC Utrecht
Season: 2010-2011
Division: Eriedivisie
Position: 4
Star Player: Wolfswinkel
whois is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgw1986 View Post
I know that in every Scottish league beneath the SPL can use trialists in competitive matches - assume its the same in some other lower leagues.

I will echo that strikers with pace usually dominate!
whois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2010, 11:30 AM   #16
billward
Rolling Contract
TD Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whois View Post
I know that in every Scottish league beneath the SPL can use trialists in competitive matches - assume its the same in some other lower leagues.
It's the case for Sweden. At least the two lowest leagues. I'll find out if it's also possible in the second best division soon as I got promoted (for the second season in a row) despite being predicted to finish 13th out of 14.
Old 18-11-2010, 10:49 AM   #17
tactician
Trialist
TD Member

Managing: Pescara
Season: 2011/2012
Division: Serie A
Star Player: A. Diamanti
tactician is on a distinguished road

I usually play with lower league clubs as well (currently Darlington from BSP). As said before, singing good free transfers and getting the right staff is very important. Also, ask your board for signing more staff.

But one of the first things I do is try to fix my finances. I think it is one of the most important things for a lower league club to go forward on the long term.

1st thing I do: order your squad on contract wages. If you have players on loan, check if you are paying the wages. If so, terminate the loan (unless you think the player is really indispensable, and worth the money). If the top earners don't add as much as you think, or if you already have a free transfer replacement that is equal (but cheaper in terms of wage) or better, then sack then immediately. Just check your players squad status and positions. If you play a tactic without wingers or side midfielders (like me, i play a 4-1-3-2), sack them also. Its just a waste of the wage budget. This creates more space and wage budget to bring in some of the more expensive and often better free transfers (if they want to come to your club, that is)

2nd thing I do: cancel all friendlies that are planned, and plan your own. I always invite the biggest teams to play cups at my stadium. If they play each other, there is a good chance the stadium is packed and sold out (like i invited celtic, rangers and motherwell to come and play). This generates a LOT of money in terms of lower league clubs. Vital for the long term imo. I just plan whatever date is not occupied to play these cups (often with the same big teams, i usually pick then from very large reputation teams list), even between league fixtures. I always play the cups with a backup/youth squad, because i dont care about the results, only about the tv revenue and gate receipts. So the only prerequisite is really that you have about 27 players to choose from (backup squad to play the cups). A bigger stadium brings more income of course.

3rd thing. Always keep your eye on your wage budget. I never go over it, but it is not really a problem if you get good income from friendly cups. I usually sign free transfers with as low as possible basic wage, and sign on fee's with like 15k (which is A LOT, but hey if you got the money..) , I try to keep the wages as low as possible.

I might come up later with some more. But for me this is an important part of managing lower league clubs.
tactician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2010, 11:17 AM   #18
alcoholic
TD Member

Managing: Bristol Rovers
Season: 2025/26
Division: Premier League
Star Player: Jack Deal
alcoholic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tactician View Post
3rd thing. Always keep your eye on your wage budget. I never go over it, but it is not really a problem if you get good income from friendly cups. I usually sign free transfers with as low as possible basic wage, and sign on fee's with like 15k (which is A LOT, but hey if you got the money..) , I try to keep the wages as low as possible.
Monitor the income and expenditure on a monthly basis.

The likely scenario is that your biggest expenditure is going to be wages.

Do as tactician has said, also try and get the lucrative money-spinning pre-season friendlies to build up some cash in your account, and then try and balance the books as much as possible so that you aren't losing too much money each month.

If you can get on a good cup run as well as you get more money from the gate there as it's not covered within the season ticket price.

And if you get offered big money for any of your players accept it. But try and keep the player until the end of the season so that you can seach the released players lists for a replacement.

It all boils down to cash, and trying to build up your bank balance so that you can expand the stadium, youth and training facilities.
alcoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:41 PM   #19
Im DanMo 08
Trialist
TD Member

Im DanMo 08 is on a distinguished road

Default Struggling In Non League Football

Hey guys im new here, but been playing Football Manager since the Championship Manager days

Im Playing in the 7th tier of English football just below the blue square north/south leagues and i can't seem to string 2 half decent results together and its testing my patience at trying to take my local club into the English League, then hopefully Premiership/Europe

Any tips you could share would be great, thanks
Im DanMo 08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:44 PM   #20
Shrewnaldo
Inventor of TDPL
TD Member

Managing: Rapid Wien-AUT
Shrewnaldo is a glorious beacon of lightShrewnaldo is a glorious beacon of lightShrewnaldo is a glorious beacon of lightShrewnaldo is a glorious beacon of lightShrewnaldo is a glorious beacon of lightShrewnaldo is a glorious beacon of light

I've merged your thread with a previous one on lower league tips. If you see the above you should get some help and be able to post any further questions you have in here.

Follow me on Twitter

FM Veteran - an addict's ramblings on FM in blog form

There's nothing common about sense, nor anything conventional about wisdom
Shrewnaldo is offline   Reply With Quote

The Dugout Football Manager Community > All FM/CM Games > General Discussion > Football Manager 2011